Side-event organised on the sidelines of HLPF
15th July 2020, Wednesday
Duration – 90 minutes via Zoom| Start time – 6.30 PM Nepali Time | 12.45 GMT
The need to accelerate efforts to eradicate child labour is more urgent now than ever as Covid-19 threatens to undo the progress the world has made already towards addressing this urgent issue. Further, with the UN designating 2021 the year for the Elimination of Child Labour, it is opportune to expedite efforts, starting with Pathfinder Strategy of Alliance 8.7 with countries that have committed to accelerate efforts to end child labour (i.e., Pathfinder Countries), leading the way for other countries.
It is also important to understand and share the efforts that Pathfinder Countries are undertaking and share the good practices and challenges with all actors in the anti-child labour community. Lessons from work at national and global levels should provide learning and foster collaboration and partnerships. Additionally, it is also essential to understand how progress towards ending child labour is being tracked/monitored in these Pathfinder Countries, to guide country efforts, using existing or emerging frameworks under SDGs (example – VNRs).
Keeping this in mind, Global March Against Child Labour – the only southern-led global civil society network dedicatedly working on ending child labour – is taking the lead via this webinar to achieve the following objectives –
- Experience sharing (good practices and challenges by Pathfinder Countries of Alliance 8.7 towards ending child labour) to expand learning for the anti-child labour community
- Supporting Pathfinder Countries to track/monitor progress towards ending child labour using existing national/international frameworks
In this first webinar, we will have Nepal – a Pathfinder Country sharing their experience. This webinar is being organised in collaboration with the Girls Advocacy Alliance and Swantantraya Abhiyan.
Setting Context by – Mr. Thomas Wissing, Representative from Alliance 8.7 Secretariat and Head, Advocacy and Partnership Unit, ILO (Geneva)
- Nisha – Child Advocate from Nepal from Girls Advocacy Alliance
- Mr. Sujan Jojiju, Under Secretary of Ministry of Labor Employment and Social Security, Nepal – Pathfinder Country Government
- Mr. Insaf Nizam, Specialist on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, ILO (South Asia)
- Ms. Writtu Bhatta Rai, Officer In Charge, SWATANTRATA ABHIYAN (SAN), Nepal – Civil Society Representative on child labour from Pathfinder Country
- Mr. Timothy Ryan, Asia Program Director – Solidarity Centre and Board Chair – Global March Against Child Labour
Moderator & Facilitator
Purva Gupta, Global March Against Child Labour
How to join/attend the webinar
You can join the webinar from computer, laptop, tablet or mobile phone. You will need to register in advance for this webinar at this link :
It takes 1 minute by the watch to register! After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar, which is also very easy/hassle-free.
How to participate in the webinar/share your views
- Participate in advance/before the webinar – Relevant to the topic/theme of the webinar, if you have any questions or views that you would like the panelists to answer or consider during the webinar, please email your questions to email@example.com, latest by 14th July, Tuesday.
- Participate during the webinar – Alternatively, you can write your questions or views during the webinar in the chatbox, and they will be answered in Q/A session during the webinar.